Monday, March 1, 2010

If you can't laugh...

Last night at my violin lesson my teacher told me I had a good sense of humor about things. Playing the violin isn't easy. Everything must be perfect. The fingers have to go down at the right time to match the speed the bow is going, and well the other 10 things going on at the same time have to be perfect too. The problem? I'm not perfect, and after a while the over analyzing, and picking takes a toll. Honestly, if you can't laugh at something you're going to go crazy. And who better to laugh at than yourself? I wish I could say that I do this in every part of my life. It certainly wasn't happening when I was washing dishes last night (I greatly dislike doing the dishes, yet I somehow always end up with that job...), but that's something I want to work on.

I will admit that I didn't do a whole lot of laughing last week. Watching the Olympics late into the night has taken a toll. Add a hurt arm, and a flat tire into the mix all in one day. There wasn't a whole lot to laugh about, and it was hard to look at it in any other way. But isn't there always something to be happy about? Right now I'm happy that my arm is itching like mad. Yes, I know that sounds crazy, but whenever something gets better it itches, at least for me. And I had a good lesson for not being able to play for the better part of a week. I understand things better. I know what is going on when I'm playing. I'm listening and paying attention to what I'm doing and I'm getting better! I'm looking forward to going to work this afternoon and playing with students. And my teacher told me he thinks I'm a good violinist. I just need to pay more attention to what I'm doing. I feel much lighter. I feel like laughing. So here's to a little more laughter in our lives! I hope you laugh today! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment