Tuesday, March 2, 2010

All things Pumpernickel

I have become obsessed with all things pumpernickel. I can't help it. So, instead of buying pumpernickel bread, or eating tons of pumpernickel bagels I decided to try my hand at making pumpernickle (cause that's what you do when you're obsessed right?). Who knew it would be so hard to find a recipe. At least it was until I came across a gold mine in my parent's kitchen called "The complete book of bread." Jackpot!!! Not only does it have a pumpernickel recipe, it has two pumpernickel recipes. So, I tried out the Pumpernickel Rye Bread recipe:

Ingredients:
3 packages dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water 105-115 degrees (it calls for warm wafer. I'm assuming they mean water...)
1/2 cup dark molasses
1 tablespoon caraway seeds
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 cups pumpernickel rye flour (which I couldn't find so I used dark rye flour)
3 to 4 cups bread flour


  1. combine the yeast & water and stir to dissolve. Then add molasses, caraway seeds, salt, oil, & rye flour. Beat about 100 strokes (or in my case cheat & use the mixer...). Add bread flour a 1/2 cup at a time until dough is stiff and cleans the sides of the bowl
  2. knead until dough is smooth
  3. 1st rising. Place dough in greased bowl & cover with plastic wrap for 1 /12 - 2 hours (poke to test, dent will remain)
  4. Divide into 2 pieces (can skip if you want 1 big loaf) and let rise 10 minutes. Place on opposite corners of baking sheet
  5. 2nd rising. cover and let rise for 45 minutes
  6. preheat oven to 375. Stab loaves 10 -12 times with skewer and bake until browned (40 - 50 minutes)
  7. cool on metal racks
2nd rising

mmmm pumpernickel!

Result: It's good bread, but it taste more like rye bread that happens to be brown than pumpernickel. It's also a little bit heavy. Seeing as it's already half gone I'm guessing people are enjoying it anyway :)

All in all it was a fun way to spend a Saturday. Especially after a good run in my new Dailymile tech shirt :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment