- I always carry my own water on all of my runs in the summer, even for Team in Training runs that have waterstops. As a former girl scout I'm always prepared. Plus, you never know what might happen during a race. Best to bring what you need. Plus, there are these fabulous sugar free electrolyte drink tablets called Nuun (since I'm cavity prone I don't do Gatorade also known as a sugar bath for your teeth. Plus I went to Florida State. We're not big fans of gators...). Just drop one in your water and it creates a fabulous electrolyte beverage to carry along!
- Salt - I'm a heavy, salty sweater (that might be a little more than you wanted to know). I learned after my first marathon that salt was going to become a very good friend. During the summer it's a salt packet 30 minutes before a run, 1/2 way through, and coaches have suggested after the run. It's not unusual for me to take additional salt packets during the run. It just depends on the day.
- Dri-fit - "cotton is rotten" is a favorite phrase of out TNT coaches. Dri-fit is your friend. Love it!!!
- visor or sweat bands - got to keep the sweat out of the eyes. Plus if you're dumping water over your head the visor keeps it out of your eye with a better chance of getting more of the water where you want it. This often makes me look like I've jumped in a lake (my mom has asked upon my return home if I just took a shower. No mom I just went running...)
- Ice bath - seriously, there is nothing better after a long run in the summer heat (I know I'm weird. I like ice baths). Not only do you cool off, but it helps your legs recover from all of the hard pounding.
Salsa Pulled Pork
1 day ago