Monday, May 10, 2010

experimenting

I am a schedule person. I get up at the same time 5 days a week, practice at the same time everyday, and teach lessons during certain hours. I like order. So, if you give me a schedule that says run four days a week that's what I'm going to do (and clearly I love having a running schedule). But this week I tried something different. I didn't start out to only run 3 days this week, but because of the weather that's what happened, and I have to say I'm kind of intrigued by the idea. I feel like I have a ton of energy (there's a new idea), and that I'm look forward to my runs even more than I already was. So here's what I'm going to try for at least a couple of weeks:
  • Monday - speed work. It rotates between tempo runs, 400 yard, and 800 yard speed intervals (this morning it was 7x400)
  • Tuesday - cross train and strength train
  • Wednesday - run (it will be my long run for a little while)
  • Thursday - cross train and strength train
  • Friday - the holy day of rest
  • Saturday - Team in Training group run (affectionately know as GTS)
  • Sunday - cross train and strength train
This morning's run was awesome! It was getting harder to recover on the last couple of intervals, but even after the mile I had to run to get home after I finished I felt like I had tons of energy, and could keep going (maybe I need to push more on the intervals). Plus I'm excited to put some yoga back into the routine. Yesterday's 60 minute yoga workout kicked my rear a little, but I got all the way through it, which is something I've struggled with on this particular yoga workout (it's yoga for runners. a combination on strengthing poses and flexibilty). I can feel that I'm getting stronger, and I'm pretty excited about it! Plus tomorrow is fall season kick-off for Team in Training, which means this morning was officialy my first workout towards the Chicago marathon! So excited!

Maybe you could help me get started on the way to my goal: http://pages.teamintraining.org/ga/chicago10/bgartley

1 comments:

The un-Zen Runner said...

You know, I was just thinking today about getting involved in something like team in training, because of the charity and helping people aspect, but didn't think they had good runners like yourself that ran marathons. Glad I ran into your blog. Looks like it's worth looking into further.

Post a Comment