Monday, July 20, 2009

A weekend of fundraising


Holly cow!! What a weekend. It was 48 hours of almost straight fundraising, which means 4 days of no violin practicing =(. Saturday was our team yard sale, which I was really excited about and had really high hopes of success. Mom and I had gone through both the basement and attic and had come up with some pretty great stuff. I had a coffee maker, a juicer, beer steins, a mink wrap, the vintage pashinko machine with balls, microwave, sewing machine, and lots of other stuff. I'm not really sure what happened. I mean I sold some stuff, but not very much, and people really wanted me to practically give things away for free, which is hard to do when you're trying to raise money for charity. The grand total: just a little over $100. I had tons of stuff left over. No one wanted any of the appliances, which was really surprising! After getting set up at 6am and selling until 2pm I didn't have a lot of energy left, so I stopped at the Goodwill donation center on the way home and gave what I had left towards another good cause (plus Mom didn't want to find homes for what was coming home, and I was really tired of moving it all around). Still, it's $100 I didn't have before the yard sale.

Sunday was the Nike Team's Golf tournament at Chastain Park's golf course. Melissa did an awesome job of putting things together even though we had a hard time finding golfers. I think we had around 30 for the tournament. We also had a silent auction and raffle at the after party as well, but after getting to the course at 12:30 and then leaving around 7:30pm (oh and an 8:45am meeting at church too) I too exhausted to make it to the after party. It did however give me an idea for another fundraiser. So we'll see how it turns out. We did really good selling beverages ($100 plus tips), so it's looking like there might be a good split of the proceeds!

I'm almost to 25% of my fundraising goal, so I'm in good shape for recommitment in a couple of weeks. I'm so grateful for everyone who has donated so far, and it's amazing to think that we've been training for 2 1/2 months now. The big mileage is just around the corner (as in it starts in the next few weeks). Maybe you can help! Check out my website and help us find a cure to cancer! http://pages.teamintraining.org/ga/nikesf09/bgartley


0 comments:

Post a Comment