Friday, July 2, 2010

Fourth of July


I would have to say that Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. There's just something about a holiday that centers around eating food that makes it really awesome in my book (I do enjoy seeing my family too, it's not just about eating!). And then there's probably my 2nd favorite holiday, the 4th of July. When I was younger I was a bit of a history nut. I loved reading books about the early leaders of our country, and the colonial period. We use to visit my grandmother who lived outside of Charlotesville, VA and would often go visit Williamsburg. I loved it! And then there were the fireworks out on the lake. Lots of good memories! Like the time I got bronchitis while we were at my grandmother's house. I promptly gave it to my brother. See, I'm nice like that ;p. This year the family is going to the Braves game, which they will probably loose because I am there. As an added bonus there are fireworks after the game!!

Since 2007 my new tradition is running the Peachtree Road Race. There's nothing like sweating it out with 55,000 of my closest friends. It's not an easy course (1st 3 miles are downhill, the last 3 miles are uphill), but it's such a fun race. It's a people watchers dream! You would not believe the costumes (my favorite remains the guys in speedos running with flippers inviting everyone to their pool party). Last year I finally made it in under an hour. This year it looks like it might actually cool enough enough that I might have a fighting chance to beat last year's time.

2008 PRR

2009 PRR

How ever you choose to celebrate the holiday just remember what it's about. The birth of our country. So, run, eat, and be merry. Thank those who continue to keep our country safe.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

i think i just freaked out a little ... last 3 miles up hill. yikes. if you see me dead on the street pick me up!! have fun and good luck beating your time from last year!! happy 4th bonnie!

Post a Comment