Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Heros

This post originally started out as something very different, but I couldn't get over what happened this morning. Sometimes I feel like I forget why I run. This morning was one of those runs. I got to caught up in everything that seemed to be going wrong. I will not trouble you with my whining, it's enough to say even I felt bad about it, but I think I may have come up with a solution for one of the issues. Tomorrow's 8 mile run will tell the tale of my latest experiment (my violin students will tell you that I love to experiment).

What made the difference? Well I started reading the Caringbridge website of a friend's nephew. See Daniel was diagnosed with neuroblastoma back in June and was having surgery to remove the tumor this morning. And while I was reading that his wish was to go visit his Aunt Becky every week it hit me, this is why I run. It's not just to be in shape, or to have time to myself and try and stay sane, it's to be a part of something bigger, to make a difference. See Daniel doesn't care that his hair is falling out, or that his body sometimes violently objects to what he has to go through, he just wants to be a kid. Or take our team honored hero Kate. She's only seven and just finished her last round of chemo July 1st. They didn't ask to have cancer. Who would? But they fight anyway. Or Uncle Clyde and Ryan who both lost their battles with cancer. Ryan was starting a new chapter in his life after winning the Metropolitan Opera Competition in 2007 and getting a chance to perform with the Met Opera. Who knew he only had a year left. So much promise lost because of cancer.

This is my I run. To make a difference. To fight the only way I know how, because deep down inside I worry about who might be next. Every five minutes someone is diagnosed with a blood cancer. That doesn't even count all of the other cancers. What would life be like if cancer no longer existed? Daniel and Kate's fight would be over for good! That's why I run!! And let's face it 26.2 miles doesn't hurt nearly as much as going through chemo.

You can help!! Go to http://pages.teamintraining.org/ga/nikesf09/bgartley all donations are 100% tax deductible and 75% of you gift goes directly towards making a difference in the lives of those battling cancer!

Daniel Enfinger


Kate

0 comments:

Post a Comment