Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A look back

I've been thinking about the past a little bit. I started this blog while training for my 3rd marathon. Now I'm about to run my 4th. A look back:

  • 2008 ING Georgia Marathon - my very first marathon. I fell on my 15 mile training run, which sidelined me for a while. Then I proceeded to twist my left knee, which is when I discovered I needed orthotics and became a die hard Big Peach Running Co. fan (they figured it out immediately. My old store completely missed it). Time 5:46 Weather: cold, 25 mile per hour wind gust, and down right miserable. But I finished!
  • 2008 San Antonio Rock-n-Roll Marathon - my first event with Team in Training. If you're thinking of doing a full for the first time this is the way to do it! I really wish I had! I learned a lot. I didn't get injured (got some bad shin splits & had some shoe issues, but no injuries!). Time 5:04 even after pulling my left calf muscle at mile 17
  • 2009 Nike Women's Marathon - 2nd race with Team in Training. I had wanted to run Nike since I first really started running in 2007. The first half wasn't bad (2:16 with all of the hills!), but I cramped up bad during the second half and ran out of fuel. Was disappointed that I missed my goal time (4:30), but looking back it was a good learning experience. Cold and windy. Time 5:00. Didn't really deserve a PR, but that's what I got
I can't believe that I'm getting ready to run my 4th marathon. I don't know what to expect. I've learned a lot over the past three. I'm stocking up and bringing extra fuel for the race. Thanks to my chest cold my legs are super rested and relaxed. For Nike I set a goal time for the race. I'm not doing that this time. I've learned my lesson. I've been fortunate to PR in all of my races in 2009, and broke some good time barriers. My 10k PR (59:17) is now under an hour, and I'm in better shape now. Same story for the 5K (27:33), it's under 30 minutes and was early last year. I finally ran a 1/2 marathon, so I have a time in that now (totally backwards I know, but that's just the way I work). My best races have come when I don't pay any attention to my watch and just run and have fun. So, that's the plan for Tallahassee. We'll see what happens...

(the Garmin Forerunner comes Wednesday. SO STINKING EXCITED!!!!)

1 comments:

Jim Osterman said...

The steal a line from Hemingway I think we become endurance athletes two ways -- gradually and suddenly.

I got to know you as you prepped for your 3d and can see vast progress from that event to your training for this. Thank you so much for making time to share your thoughts along your journey.

Post a Comment